- abbr. Young Men's Christian Association.
* * *Young Men's Christian Association.Also, Y.M.C.A.
* * *abbrevYoung Men's Christian Association
* * *Y.M.C.A. or YMCA (no periods),Young Men's Christian Association (an organization for promoting the spiritual, intellectual, physical, and social well-being of young men, founded in London in 1844 by George Williams, 1821-1905).
* * *n. a welfare movement that began in London in 1844 and now has branches all over the world■ a hostel or recreational facility run by this associationOrigin:abbreviation of Young Men's Christian Association
* * */ˌwaıˌɛmˌsiːˈeı/ nounthe YMCA: an international organization originally for young men that provides social programs, a place for athletic activities, etc., for the people in a community
He's a member of the YMCA.
We play basketball every weekend at the YMCA. [=at the building owned and operated by the YMCA]— often used before another noun
a YMCA membership; called also (US, informal) the Y◇ YMCA is an abbreviation of “Young Men's Christian Association.”
* * *Young Men's Christian Association (an organization that exists in many countries and provides accommodation and social and sports activities)
We stayed at the YMCA.See also: ↑YCulture:The YMCA was established in Britain in 1844 and now operates in many countries around the world. It is known especially for its hostels (= places offering cheap food and accommodation).See also ↑Y.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
YMCA — 〈[waıɛmsi:ɛı] Abk. für engl.〉 Young Men s Christian Association (Christlicher Verein Junger Männer) [engl.] * * * YMCA [waɪ|ɛmsi: |eɪ ], die, auch: der; [Abk. von engl.: Young Men s Christian Association]: Christlicher Verein Junger Männer. * * * … Universal-Lexikon
YMCA — Young Men s Christian Association Short Dictionary of (mostly American) Legal Terms and Abbreviations … Law dictionary
YMCA — 〈 [waıɛmsi:ɛı] Abk. für engl.〉 Young Men′s Christian Association (Christlicher Verein junger Männer) [Etym.: engl.] … Lexikalische Deutsches Wörterbuch
YMCA — Young Men s Christian Association an organization in many countries that provides places to stay and sports activities for young people … Dictionary of contemporary English
YMCA — (Young Men s Christian Association) international organization promoting physical and mental welfare (originally for young Christian men) … English contemporary dictionary
YMCA — [vai̮|ɛmsi: |e: ], die, auch der; = Young Men s Christian Association (Christlicher Verein Junger Männer) … Die deutsche Rechtschreibung
YMCA — ► ABBREVIATION ▪ Young Men s Christian Association … English terms dictionary
YMCA — abbrev. Young Men s Christian Association … English World dictionary
YMCA — The Young Men s Christian Association ( YMCA or the Y ) was founded on June 6, 1844 in London, England, by a young man named George Williams. At the time, the organization was dedicated to putting Christian principles into practice, as taught by… … Wikipedia
YMCA — Офис YMCA в Улан Баторe, Монголия YMCA (ИМКА; от англ. Young Men’s Christian Association Юношеская христианская ассоциация) молодёжная волонтерская организация. Стала из … Википедия